Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Thing the 15: Library 2.0

Ya know, I'd love to talk about "Library 2.0," but I'm not sure I fully grasp it as a thing to which we move. Does that make sense? Hmm...

At any rate, even with all the talk of decreased circulation, do any of us truly believe that print is dead? Despite what Rick Anderson's piece says about looking "skeptically at the very idea of a library 'collection,'" have any of us managed to get along without a print collection yet? (It's not retortical--I'm not aware of a library doing that myself; tell me if there is one.) I also seem to recall reading recently, although I don't know how current the article was, that there have been problems with some digitizing: footnotes have been left out, that sort of thing. Information has been left incomplete, which is sloppy and shortsighted.

Staying current and relevant is going to involve embracing the idea of evolving, though--I like "living, breathing technology" plans. I like connected. Wee!

But I think success means a melding of the building and the page with the electronic and the digital. Most of us who work here, we've already got a foot in each pond as users ourselves, I'm willing to bet.

No comments: