Thursday, January 29, 2009

NetLibrary and Overdrive, Nothing Clever Here

I looked at a picture book in NetLibrary, because that didn't seem to be the kind of thing that readily lent itself to ebook form. The book was The Burro and the Basket. The illustrations showed up pretty nicely, I assume, except for having to scroll to see all of the picture. The weird thing was, there were great gaps of white space just where I would have thought text should have been. The text was then typed, smaller than I'm used to for a picture book, and in a kind of weird way and sterile typeface: it seems to have been wiped out from its original location and retyped at the bottom for the digitization. Why? There is no paper copy in the system, so I can't check on how it looked in physical form. A great mystery.

I have been through the Overdrive tutorial. Hooray for anime downloads. Yay for Read or Die, which is just awesome. It really doesn't get much better than secret agents of the British Library saving the world, now, does it?

No comments: