Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Newbery News

Ya know, I didn't mention anything about this on Monday, and I should have, because I was so excited when The Graveyard Book won the Newbery. Seriously, I was excited like I know Neil Gaiman personally and was going to call him later in the morning or something. Which of course I don't and of course I didn't. So I didn't have anything to do with that grand level of joy (except subject my coworkers to it). I do, though, adore that book intensely. It took me two days to read it. And now this wonderful book's won the Newbery, and I'm just so proud.

Neil Gaiman's been one of my favorite children's authors for a long time now (in the sense that I am just smitten with his children's/young adult/"all ages" books). I love his picture books, and Coraline is one of my all time favorites ever.

So, congratulations to Neil Gaiman. This librarian is mighty pleased with your Newbery win and the incredible story you told.




PS--I'd just like to indulge my smugness and point out that I put The Graveyard Book on the children's librarians' recommended reading spreadsheet after I finished it, so in a way I TOTALLY CALLED IT. GO ME.

No comments: