Sunday, November 16, 2008

7 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners

I think the easiest of the 7.5 Habits is Goal Setting. Goal Setting is awesomely easy! And fun! It is that crucial follow through that trips me up. Maybe I am splitting some hairs or whatnot with choosing "Goals" as the Easy (BUT MAYBE NOT) Habit, but really, reasonable goal setting is kind of a skill of its own. It has to mean something, after all--goals have to be within the realm of the possible but still a challenge, and so on. But it's easy to dream big, so to just dream up goals--well, that's no sweat.



The Hard Habit is probably Seeing Problems as Challenges. I generally have enough going on that when something else goes wrong, I fall into the "OH GOD, WHAT NOW?? @#$^*&%!!" response category. Now, if said problem/challenge involves a hobby, or something I've chosen to do out of interest or love, I try to remember the words of noted Knitting Goddess Elizabeth Zimmerman, who said that when faced with frogging your work you should think, and I paraphrase, "The chance to do more of my favorite hobby! Yay!" But we all know that histrionics are theraputic. I once had to tell a friend to quit trying to solve my problem and just let me complain. It's when I go all quiet that you really need to worry.




That's all for now. Hi Dianna! And Assorted Members of 23 Things Team! Are you actually reading the blogs?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We sure are! I have them set up so that new entries are sent to my RSS reader (you'll learn about those later in the 23 Things). -Dianna (aka Didi)

Anonymous said...

Yes

We are monitoring your every move.

I KID! I KID!

AmyTh. said...

I KNEW IT.

loladimz said...

We also *really* want to reward those determined individuals who do all the 23 Things! :)